I’ve wanted to compile a list of the most important books I’ve read that have profoundly impacted my walk with Christ. This list is by no means exhaustive, but I don’t believe this list will change too much over the years. I do plan to update this every once in awhile.
1. ESV Bible
The Bible is and will simply be the best book ever. The dusts of the hills of this book are gold. I love the ESV translation. (Thanks to my brother in Christ, Luke Gorsett, for helping me switch from KJV to ESV a couple years ago.)
2. Fountain of Life by John Flavel (Volume 1 of works)
These are outstanding sermons from Flavel; the way he talks about Jesus Christ is astounding.
3. Holiness by J.C. Ryle
This is a Christian classic that deserves more reads from modern Christians. I doubt a better book will be written on the topic of sanctification than this one by Ryle. Truly a blessing from God. Happy is the person who reads and lives this book out, as the bishop would say.
4. Studies in the Sermon on the Mount by Dr. Martyn Lloyd Jones
No book has taught me the glorious yet challenging way of the Christian life like this one.
5. Overcoming Sin and Temptation by John Owen (Edited by Kelly Kapic and Justin Taylor) I doubt there is a better or ever will be a better book on overcoming sin and temptation. Owen was a great gift to the church.
6. The Precious Things of God by Octavius Winslow
This book is experimental religion as its best, an absolutely wonderful joyful read.
7. Knowing God by J.I. Packer
This book covers a lot of material about God, every Christian should read. Will be encouraged and convicted.
8. The Sovereignty of God by A.W. Pink
This was one of the main books that first introduced me to the doctrines of grace. This was one of my first reads as a young Christian. I thank God tremendously for this book.
9. The Doctrine of Repentance by Thomas Watson
I learned much about the evil of sin in this book. This book has helped me a great deal.
10. Thoughts For Young Men by J.C. Ryle
Every Christian young man should read this book.
11. The Godly Man’s Picture by Thomas Watson
Godliness with contentment is great gain. Watson did a great job exhorting me to pursue godliness and explaining what are the marks of the godly.
This book has really helped me to see how important prayer is to walk with Christ.
13. Desiring God by John Piper
Modern classic which has helped me to pursue God with joy.
14. Morning and Evening Devotional by C.H. Spurgeon
This is my favorite devotional to read. Spurgeon can take one verse and do wonders to comfort our souls.
15. Christless Christianity by Michael Horton
This book has helped me to see the many problems of 21st century evangelicalism. It should be read by everyone who loves Christ and cares about his truth.
What do you think of my list? What books have been most impactful in your Christian pilgrimage thus far? I am blessed and humbled that God has brought these books into my life.