Monday, February 21, 2011

Book Review: A Call to Prayer

My review on Amazon is here.


This book on prayer by J.C. Ryle written around a hundred years ago contains a weighty, heart searching message addressed to Christians and non Christians about a most important, yet much neglected spiritual discipline. J.C. Ryle writes with humility, he writes urgently, powerfully, and effectively. Ryle's whole thesis of the book is a question, "Do you pray"? Ryle starts off the book with giving seven reasons why he asks this important question, highlighting several important things about prayer. I thought his last reason was great, "I ask whether you pray because prayer is one of the best means of happiness and contentment." Ryle explains well that the testimony of both the Old and New Testament is that we must bring everything to God in prayer if we want happiness in this sin cursed world. Ryle then moves on to address those who do not pray, he humbly explains that these prayerless people are in a position of fearful danger. Ryle concludes with a very helpful exhortation to encourage and instruct those who do pray.

This precious book on prayer has helped me a great deal and encouraged me. In my opinion, this book is one of the best I have ever read on prayer, and sadly has not been read like it should be read. Don't think that because it is an old book, or a short book, that it will not do you much good, rather, much benefit will be gained from those who read it and therefore practice what Ryle says. I will say with Ryle, "I want the times we live in to be praying times. I want the Christians of our day to be praying Christians." Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment