Friday, July 22, 2011

My Encouraging Verse

Often I will turn the radio dial to 88.1 FM, which here in Omaha, is Klove.  I am not the biggest fan of Klove, I certainty will not put their sign on my car, but I enjoy some good Christian music from time to time on Klove. Everyone that listens knows that they have a daily encouraging verse. I think this is a great idea, we are people who need to be encouraged in our often discouraging world. However, some of the verses that they choose, leave me thinking to myself, that really is not that encouraging.  And then I started thinking about some verses that encourage me in my walk with Christ.


And my mind came to one specific verse. That verse is 1 Timothy 1:15,  "The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost".


This verse should be continually on our minds as Christians. Why? Because, at one time, all of 
us were not Christians. We lived our lives alienated from our Creator, we spend all of our time indulging in the foolish desires of our flesh, and we lived basically all for ourselves. It is in this verse that we remember what our condition was before we became Christians. This verse reminds us that we, like the apostle Paul, at one time we're bad sinners. 


But, someone might be thinking, I do not see how this verse is encouraging. This doesn't sound like good news, it sounds like very bad news. Yes, your right, it is bad news that we are this bad. 


But as the verse reminds us again, Christ Jesus came into this world for people exactly like us! There is a Savior! His name is Jesus! This is indeed good news for us who, by God's grace, recognize our condition. We Christians must be constantly reminded that we are that bad and Christ is that good. For it is in these truth's that our worship for God is fueled and sustained. 


Let this verse be the encouragement you run to in your daily life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment