Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Wind of God's Wrath


The other day I was umpiring a baseball game, and during that game was hit with some of the worst wind conditions I have ever seen. The field where I was working at was facing the north, so the wind was coming directly at me the whole game. As the game proceeded it was getting worse and worse, till finally when the game got over I was utterly exhausted. As I was working the game, the misery of being in those conditions for two hours was so draining.  I couldn’t help but think about the reality of God’s wrath that will one day fall on sinners who are not clothed in the righteousness of Christ.

In the book of Revelation, Chapter 6:16-17, we have the fierceness of God’s wrath described that even the mountains and rocks want to hide from him. “Calling to the mountains and rocks, “Fall on us and hide us from the face of him who I seated on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb, for the great day of their wrath has come, and who can stand?”
This is a fearful text and God’s wrath is a fearful topic. I hesitated to write on this, but we live in a day where God’s wrath is being diminished or outright denied. We do not like the topic of hell or God’s wrath; however, Scripture makes it clear that everyone deserves to be under God’s wrath, because of our sin against our great Creator.

The news could not be darker for us, however, there is great news that the son of God came down to rescue us sinners. Christ satisfied the justice of God and now God is able to show mercy!

We have two options: We can choose to ignore the reality of our sin and continue in unbelief, or we can agree with God about our sin and run to Christ who died for sinners. 

No comments:

Post a Comment