Monday, April 25, 2011

Book Review: Knowing God by J.I. Packer


Knowing God in Christ should be the most important pursuit in every Christian’s life. However, we live in a day where many people in Bible believing churches have a god who they have made with their own mind, and is not the God we have revealed for us in Scripture. This is why J.I. Packer wrote this book, he explains, “The conviction behind the book is that ignorance of God-ignorance both of his ways and of the practice of communion with him-lies at the root of much of the church’s weakness today.”

Packer divides this book into three sections. Section one is titled, “Know the Lord,” and is basically an introduction to some of the most important aspects of Knowing God. Section two is called, “Behold Your God,” this part is basically many of the attributes of God we find in Scripture. And the last section is called “If God Be for us,” here Packer dives into some of the marvelous truths of the gospel of Jesus.

This book has 22 chapters; the chapters are short, but rich in theological truth. I appreciated Packer’s attempt to simplify many tough theological words into understandable language for everyone to read. My three favorite chapters are on the grace of God, sons of God, and the heart of the gospel.

This book is not just on the attributes of God! When I first got this book, I thought it was just on the attributes of God. But this book covers many, if not all, of the most important truth’s we find in the Bible about God and what God has done for us in Christ.

This is the first book I have ever read from J.I. Packer and I have quickly appreciated his unique ability to encourage, convict, and strengthen our walk in Christ. If you are looking for a book to help you understand God, the gospel, and living out the gospel in your everyday life I can’t think of many better books than this one to help you do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment